Thursday, July 15, 2010

Everything in moderation

Sometimes i'll stop and look at my summer vacation and compare it to those of years past. It's kind of sad in a sense. You can literally trace the death of your childhood. In many ways the "summer" encompassed what was great about being a kid. No real responsibilities.

Now we have to give notice to our friends in order to find a time that works to see each other. Commitments and responsibilities creep into every facet of our existence. It's tough to keep things straight in my head sometimes. I'll get nostalgic, and then realize, that my life will never go back to the way it once was years ago.

Moving forward is one thing, but then I think. We work so hard to make a good life for ourselves, to accomplish great things, to make our parents proud. In a way, I think, that we work as hard as we do in order to bring ourselves back to that place. We try to reclaim our childhood. I think the song "Old Dirt Hill" by Dave Mathews kind of brings this notion home. Have a listen.

No comments: